| Exhibitions

Long Gallery of St. Peter's Abbey


From 1657 to 1661 the St. Peter’s Abbey with Amand Pachler as Abbot had the building on the south side of the Cathedral Square constructed upon request of the then Archbishop Guidobald Graf Thun. Ownership of the new building was divided up: the basement and the main floor belonged to the Archbishop and the other rooms to the Abbey. The main floor, where you are presently standing, became the Archbishop’s picture gallery.
This “Long Gallery” conforms to the building type that was developed in Italy in the 16th century: a long corridor with windows on one side and a windowless wall on the opposite side for displaying pictures. All the windows face north so that the pictures are bathed in uniform but indirect light. The Long Gallery is one of the earliest buildings of this style found north of the Alps.
The Archbishop’s collection of paintings included works by Peter Paul Rubens, Johann Heinrich Schönfeld and other notable artists. In 1803, when the archbishopric ceased its governing role, the collection was broken up and a majority of the pictures ended up in Vienna. The room itself was granted to St. Peter’s Abbey in 1819.
Since 2001, St. Peter’s has been renovating the Long Gallery and 17 large-size, religious pictures from its collection are now on display here.


Long Gallery of St. Peter's Abbey.
Photo: Dommuseum/J. Kral

Paul Troger, Christ in Gethsemane.
Photo: Dommuseum/J. Kral

Paul Troger, Virgin of Sorrows.
Photo: Dommuseum/J. Kral

Visiting Information >>

Contact >>

Our Partners